Saturday, September 8, 2012

Facebook vs. Twitter

My experiences with Facebook and Twitter are extremely different. Facebook defines an "active" user as someone who signs on at least once a month, so I would probably call my self a super duper really active user. I am constantly checking my Facebook. I look at my news feed constantly and often have it in another tab while I'm doing other things so that I can see the (1) when I get a new notification on the tab. Twitter, on the other hand, I check maybe once a day. I forget sometimes and still haven't figured out how to do basic things. That being said, I do see the importance and merit of both.

Twitter is more immediate and constant. Like with Ted, you are able to post things often in order to create buzz. People aren't checking twitter all the time (well, let's face it, some people are), so Twitter allows you to consistently post things so that you are always present on their feed. Constantly reminding people of your presence will create more of a buzz as well.

Because of the list-like quality of twitter, it is also important as a business to be on twitter constantly so that you don't miss any consumer engagement opportunities. All of the companies on the article about thriving company twitters are so successful because they respond to their consumer and use twitter for customer service.

Also, the constant and immediate aspects of twitter are the reason why I wasn't surprised by the data about news organizations. People get news directly from news organization twitters because the information is timely and easy to access.

Facebook is more of a culmination of all the information you need. I can go to a page and see a store's hours, information, photos, posts, and everything else all in one place. On twitter, it's just a list of tweets. Facebook also has longer posts, so more information can be shared.

I think my main reason for not using Twitter much is because I don't have much updating to do. If I want my friends to know something about my life, I'll tell them. I also very rarely post status updates on Facebook because of this.

In terms of the articles, I have some thoughts about the ones talking about the "cons" of Facebook. They seem kind of nit-picky. Facebook is a social website intended for charing information. Everyone knows this when they sign up. If you use a "social reader", obviously this is going to be shared and social. If you can't be bothered to check a box that won't post it on your homepage, then you should at least not read anything you'd be embarrassed about. Also, the fact that one of the main reasons that Man Bartlett deleted his facebook was because he hated that his default email got changed without notice. Who cares? I don't get emails from Facebook because I'd rather just get my notifications from Facebook. Any one who needs my email has it, and if they don't they could contact me on Facebook to get it. Also, a topless woman is a topless woman. I understand that she was doing it for an important cause, but if Facebook bends the rules, then they will lose all authority in moderating actually inappropriate content. Facebook should learn how to be more interactive with their users in terms of warning them before taking action, but I think Bartlett's anger was a bit misguided.



1 comment:

  1. One of the aspects of the "constant check in" chore has created methods for notification when a person is not on the tool. We'll be looking at this notification tools as we get closer to strategies and outcomes of particular plans. This is the intersection between media platform and device.

    ReplyDelete