Sunday, September 9, 2012

Inspiration from Others

I lied... This was a bit more than I expected.

When looking at the other blogs, I was constantly reminded of the difference in expertise that each of us have. This also happens to be my favorite thing about this assignment and the class in general. Some of the blogs (I would say I definitely fall under this category) were obviously started by beginners. I though I had mine completely customized because I selected my favorite from a list of default backgrounds and chose a font. This is just another lesson in the role social media can play in sharing information and inspiration. I now know what the possibilities are and I plan to copy some of my favorites.

There were people who added pictures and links to their posts. There were people who were using a personal blog, so they had all the categories of their posts in a list on the side. There were people who had links to all the other blogs on the side (definitely doing this... My RSS feed is confusing). There were people who had their twitter either linked on the page, or had their actual feed on the side. Some people, like Emma (see? I'm already learning) had it all.

I was also struck by how much shorter a lot the people's blog posts were than mine. And it wasn't because they had less to say. Perhaps I should work on being more concise, as this is a blog post and not an essay.

I've still got a lot to learn.

In terms of the other students opinions' on twitter and facebook, everyone seemed to have opinions, regardless of their level of experience. Twitter is a place for connecting with people on a more even playing field. People can interact with celebrities in a way they couldn't in the real world or on Facebook, which is something I didn't even think of. Facebook is more personal. Almost everyone worried about privacy on Facebook because of the personal nature of their posts. However, these same people loved the public aspect of Twitter.

I don't know what to post a picture of, but I'd like to post one to make this post more aesthetically pleasing, so here's a picture of something I like (customization and personalization):

Also, I'd like to highlight something I read in Stephanie's blog that I think is a great summarization of the ultimate potential for social media:

"More times than not, we, as consumers, see information as simply there for the taking. If we can shy away from the ‘what can you do for me’ and lean more toward ‘what can we accomplish together’ – from a producer AND consumer perspective – we can get one step closer to knowing it all."

Well said.

1 comment:

  1. This post validates the direction I intended. Thank you, thank you, thank you. We'll keep revisiting each others' blogs to see how that influences growth, just like the first time around.

    BTW, love the picture!

    ReplyDelete